Everything You Need To Know About A Motor Accident Compensation Claim

Would you know what to do if you sustained injuries in a motor vehicle accident? Accidents happen on the road every day, and if you’re a victim, you may be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries.

Being involved in a motor accident can be overwhelming, so we have taken the confusion out of it for you. With our experience in motor accident compensation claims, we share advice for what to do when you have been involved in a motor accident, and shed some light on the claim process.

What to do when you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident

Report the incident to the police

Remain at the scene and call 000 if necessary. In Queensland, you are legally required to call the police in the event that death or injury (requiring medical attention from a qualified ambulance officer, nurse or doctor) has occurred, or if a dangerous environment or risk to public safety exists (e.g. traffic congestion, fuel spill or broken power lines). You are not required to call the police if the accident didn’t result in injury or a towed vehicle.

You must phone Policelink on 131 444 in the case that there is a suspected involvement of drugs and/or alcohol, a driver is failing or refusing to provide their details, or a driver with an impairment or disability requires police assistance.

Inform your vehicle and health insurance providers

You may be required to report any incidents within a certain timeframe in order to be eligible depending on your insurance company, so be sure to inform them of your accident as soon as possible.

Get a medical examination

When you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident, chances are your body will be feeling it. Even if you don’t experience immediate pain, you will need to be checked out by a medical professional. Whether that is by a paramedic at the scene of the accident or your local GP the next day, you need to be examined as soon as possible. You will also require documentation of your injuries to support a compensation claim.

Get your vehicle checked out

Even if your vehicle appears to be in good condition, you will need to have it examined by a professional to ensure it’s safe to hit the road again.

Take it to your dealership or mechanic to make sure everything is in working order.

Seek advice from a motor accident compensation lawyer

If you’re injured in a motor accident that you believe was caused by someone else’s actions or negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Get in touch with an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your situation and determine whether you have grounds to proceed with a claim.

Who is entitled to claim compensation in a motor accident?

You will usually be eligible to partial or full compensation if you are not completely at fault for the accident. You may be required to provide evidence to prove you are not entirely at fault, so it’s a good idea to photograph the scene of the accident and the damage caused.

What can you claim?

Depending where you live in Australia, you are generally entitled to compensation to cover expenses such as:

  • Medical and hospital (including pharmacy and counselling)
  • Rehabilitation nursing and disability services
  • Expenses arising from a death including funeral costs.

Types of motor accidents that are covered in Queensland

Some of the types of accidents covered in Queensland include:

  • Nose-to-tail collisions (rear ending)
  • Accidents caused by mechanical faults and defects
  • Collisions at intersections
  • Carpark accidents
  • Hit-and-run accidents
  • A pedestrian hit by a vehicle
  • A cyclist hit by a vehicle
  • A motorcyclist hit by a vehicle.

The specific circumstances of your accident can have an impact on whether or not you are eligible for compensation and the amount you receive.

How to make a motor vehicle accident compensation claim

Making a compensation claim isn’t something you do every day, and the process can be confusing. Make a start by following these steps:

  1. Report the incident to the police.
  2. If another vehicle was involved, try to get their registration details. If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident or if the other vehicle
    was unregistered, you may need to make a claim against the Nominal Defendant.
  3. Make sure every section of the claim form is complete. You will need your medical professional to fill out the medical section.
  4. Send the form to the insurer of the party who was partially or fully at fault. That party may be making a claim to your insurer if you were also
    partly at fault.

Be sure to make contact with a personal injury expert as soon as possible following your accident, as time limits may apply for making a claim, depending on where you are located.

If you’ve been injured in a motor accident, our experienced personal injury lawyers can provide you with free, no-obligation advice. Fill out our online form or call us on 1800 435 754 to discuss your situation.

Get A Free Claim Assessment Today

*Obligation free and completely confidential

Call Now

Enquire Now

Fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.